July 23, 2010

July 22

Today was team-splitting day. Alyssa and I said our goodbyes as the team headed off to Hoshida church. We then took a quick nap (while secretly laughing at our team because they could not) and then proceeded to get on the train. A bunch of transfers got us to the Shinkansen (bullet train) and we were off to Yokohama.

The train ride wasn't interesting, other than the fact that I was actually ON A BULLET TRAIN (something I've always wanted to do). The interesting part came with getting off the train. Alyssa and I made it off just fine, but Lisa and Kyle, the two people who were meeting us there (and happened to be on the same train) didn't, and we spent the next two hours waiting for them to figure it out and find their way back to Shin-Yokohama. It all turned out fine, and we were driven to our church, Meguminooka. The people welcomed us with a beautiful supper, complete with real American hamburger. It was a nice change from Japanese food. Well, we still had rice. But we now realize that rice is mandatory with every meal.

I have already fallen in love with the people here, and I'm really excited to get to spend more time with these people, and learn more about them. I have six nights here, and I hope to make the best of every day that follows! Tomorrow, we tour TOKYO! Yeah, now you're all jealous. This will be a great experience, and I'm really excited to see the world's largest city, with 39 million people. Basically, it's like seeing all of Canada in one day!

God bless you all. To you, have an amazing day. To me...good night!!

2 comments:

  1. just curious as to where you got the 39 million people from. i was just curious and checked online and canada is about 33 million and tokyo is about 13 million...japan in total is 127 million - that is nuts!
    have a great great day...hope you get to see an APPLE store on your journey!
    -mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. 39 million is the Tokyo Greater Area total. Basically the metro area.

    ReplyDelete